Thursday, June 24, 2010

Thursday Thirteen - 164 - 13 Creative Works by My Grandfather, Charles Doucet Sr.


















As I state over in my sidebar, 'I love to showcase creative works by artists of all stripes.'

Here at A Piece of My Mind, I've had an embarrassment of riches when it comes to my own family. I've posted art shows featuring:

My mom - Paulette Phillips

My uncle - Charles E. Doucet

My sister-in-law - Anna Baccin

My other sister-in-law - Violetta Smith


















For today's Thursday Thirteen, I'm opening my Art Gallery doors to feature my late grandfather, Charles Doucet Sr.

When I was old enough to start noticing what characteristics made up the different members of my family, I knew that one grandfather played the fiddle, and one grandfather painted. Grandpa Doucet was the painting grandfather, and anytime I smell turpentine or oilpaints, I automatically think of him.

He made his living as a portrait photographer, but didn't leave his passion for photography in the studio.

I have very affectionate memories of him constantly sketching in numerous sketchbooks with colored pencils or pastels. I remember being fascinated as he mixed the colors on his artist's palette. I remember all the rags and the brushes in his basement on the shelf outside his darkroom.

His art work graced the walls of his home and of his children's homes. I've never lived anywhere without an art piece of his upon the wall.

So I'm pleased to share a small selection of his work with you, in honor of his birthday, which is coming up on the 27th. Feel free to stroll about the gallery - I'm going to see about that tray of fruit heading this way.




- 1 - A depiction of the Sacred Heart

A very early piece done in colored pencil, dating from his boyhood in Cheticamp, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia












- 2 - Cheticamp rug hooking













The town where he grew up is known for creating fabulous, intricate hooked rugs. In later life, he gave lessons on rug hooking.



- 3 - My circus clown










When I was little, this hung in my bedroom.



- 4 - Yarmouth Harbour










My grandparents moved from Canada to Michigan in the 50's, and back to Canada in the 70's when he retired. They settled in my Gram's hometown of Yarmouth, which has really incredible sunsets. He painted a lot of silhouette landscapes during this period.



- 5 - Moonlight

He also did quite a few snowy scenes, especially set at night.















- 6 - Bluenose II

He did this one especially for my Uncle Warren, who served in the United States Navy.




The Bluenose II has its home port in Nova Scotia, and is featured on the Canadian dime.




















- 7 - Cottage with Birches

This always hung in my grandparents' living room.

It was definitely hanging on the wall beside Gram's rocking chair during her last decade here.






- 8 - Cape Breton scenery

This piece was painted on the outside of the shed at their Yarmouth home. It became a bit of a landmark for awhile.









- 9 - Portrait of Simon Doucet

Grandpa concentrated mainly on landscapes, but he was known to paint figures from time to time. This is a portrait of his father.









It was painted from this photographic portrait, also taken by Grandpa.















This is an amazing shot of my great-grandfather, since Grandpa was very keen on posing his subjects for studio portraits. The naturalism and candid moment is quite atypical for my grandfather's photography.









- 10 - Turkish Coffee

















- 11 - Abstract Autumn Colors













Grandpa didn't create too many abstract pieces, but this one is a favorite of mine.



- 12 - Snow Scene











- 13 - Sunset, Yarmouth











Here's my grandfather with his wife, Juliette - my Gram. This was taken at his portrait studio for their 25th wedding anniversary.










Also here at the gallery, in spirit, is my Aunt Sheila.








Nabbed for a picture are Charles' children, Louis, Warren, Paulette and Charlie.







We'd all like to thank you so much for dropping by my grandfather's art show. ((hugs)) It's been great to see you here!